Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bungee Smuggler

Banana Hammock
Speedo

Not to be worn in public by any man, really.  Unless of course you are Michael Phelps, which could really be another post entirely.

The swimwear in question belonged to that of an ambitious swimmer at our local pool yesterday.  Oh, sure, he seemed harmless enough, and definitely knew what he was doing in the pool....but he had an attitude.  Not just a "look at me in my HOT PINK nothingness" attitude, but a "I'm better than you and I'm not going to say anything, I'm just going to showoff to prove it."  

I have very little use for this kind of attitude.  Especially when there are already 5 of us sharing 4 lanes.  Especially when the 6th person opts to do the 100 Individual Medley the whole time.  Especially when it is clad in hot pink.

You know what I mean by IT. *shudder*

I didn't really start to get irritated until I got smacked while he was butterfly-ing past me.  Grrr.  Now, maybe I was a little irritable because I was at the 1 mile mark of my workout, my shoulders were burning, and my arms were going to fall off, but that's beside the point. 

It's my blog.  I'll complain if I want too.

On the next lap we hit the wall at the same time, and frankly, I'd  had enough.  Someone needed to take this guy down a notch.  He switched to freestyle and I decided that it was game on.

He will not beat me to the wall.

With my arms burning I swam my little ass off to beat him the length of the pool.  He flip turned (of course), I pushed off and away we went again.  And I won again. YAY!  This is fun!  I'm pretty sure he had no clue what was going on, but I felt better.  Those two or three sprint laps also made my average pace a little faster, so it was all good in the end.  Unknowingly I had also just proven to myself that after one mile of swimming I had enough left to sprint for a little bit.  Hmmm....

I have discovered that the second half of my swim is always better than the first half.  I'm more focused, faster and just "in the zone"  if you will.  I cannot wait for the swim at the Grand Columbian Olympic in 2 weeks.  As long as there are no hot pink speedos.  Otherwise, it's game on.

1 comment:

  1. I so wanted to swim, but things looked to be a little too crowded for my taste ;-)

    ReplyDelete