Thursday, August 27, 2009

WTF was I thinking?

...ever have one of those moments?  Welcome to my world.

The decision was made, mostly by me, to make the jump up to the Olympic distance.  Why? 

ummm.....

Sprints have become to easy, and just aren't enough of a challenge anymore.  I wasn't even sore after Saturday's race.  I feel ready to move up...I thnk...as I say this my stomach jumps into my throat.  Lovely.

Lately I have been asking others about different races they have done that I am now considering doing, just to see what their opinion was of that particular race.  Want to know what the responses were?

No.
It sucked.
Hills.  Lots of hills.
It's hard.
I got heat exhaustion.
It rained.


WTF people?!?  This is not helping!  Fine.  So what if it's hard - if it were easy everyone would do it right?  To me hard should mean that it's a challenge, which means you should be a tougher athlete and competitor, both physically and mentally, at the end of that race.  Hills?  Not my favorite, but I get the feeling we're about to become close friends.  There will be no more riding flats - all hills from here till the race.  Heat?  Welcome to eastern washington.  It's the desert. Rain?  "Let it roll in and rain down, and I will ride through it."

Dave made the point that everyone believes I can do this except me.  Pretty sure we need to change that over the next 4 weeks too. 

So, in an attempt to muster some courage, confidence and a little bit of cockiness: 1 mile swim, 26 mile bike, 10K run - Bring. It. On.

pray people.  pray hard.

On a side note, my sneaky husband ordered me a set of these for my birthday, which is still 3 weeks away.  I was making comments about talking to my bike guy this weekend about what kind to get, etc....so Dave spilled the beans!!  HA!  Hopefully they make it here (and are comfortable) before the race.

 

1 comment:

  1. Those bars will work perfect. 3 weeks! Where did he older them from the UK? It would be nice for you to get in them as soon as possible, It does take a little time to get used to them.

    ReplyDelete