Friday, August 21, 2009

Pick a Number...

hmmm...I'll take:

...9...
...45...
...30...

for a PR, Alex.

Normally when I race I don't like to play the numbers game. I just like to go out and have a good time, focus on the process not the outcome, and let the numbers fall where they may. Sometimes I place, sometimes I don't.

*yawn*

I'm tire of this game. It's boring. Where is the challenge? So this time around I've decided it's going to be a little different. I've picked my numbers, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get them. It's going to be uncomfortable, hell, it's probably going to hurt, but I WANT THOSE NUMBERS.

Nine minutes for the swim is the freakin' overstatement of the century. I did a quarter-mile swim in 6:51 the other day. Nine is my safety number, but would still be a PR. Heck, let's make it 8 while we're feeling a little cocky.

45 minutes for the bike. Totally doable, but I'm going to have to push. 13 miles in 45 minutes is about an 18 mph average - I can do that no problem on a flat course, but this course isn't exactly flat.

30 minutes on the run should really be more like 28. My last brick was a hilly bike with a 30 minute run afterwards, where I proceeded to sqeeze 3.5 hilly miles into said 30 minutes. This run has one nasty climb up out of the park, but considering how I have been running 1 mile hills all summer I don't see this to be a problem. I'm thinking it might even be my chance to make up some time and catch people.

The last number is 1:27:45. That's my final time from Valley Girl a month ago. Any time faster than that and I'll be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment