Monday, March 23, 2009

The First 10K...

...that would be 6.2 miles, for those of you counting.

I needed something to help get my training moving for the  year, so I signed up for the Canal Caper, a local 10K, plus I could walk to the starting line in 5 minutes from my house.  Seriously.  It's a small town.  

I hadn't planned on running with anyone - but one of my girlfriends was there, so we decided to putter along at a 10 minute pace together, thinking "we'll run to the halfway point and then see how we feel."  The halfway point goal then became 4 miles, then 4.5 miles - the goal kept on moving, which was great!!  We probably ended up running somewhere around 5 miles, maybe more, & only stopped to walk twice, just for a minute or two.

Now, I was all set to run this thing on my own, but it would have sucked.  Running with Alain was so much fun, we had a blast!  We were teammates in high school, and coach together now, and (not to get all mushy) but we fell right back into "teammate mode" - encouraging each other, checking to see how the other was doing, and just having a good time.  I know that if I had done it alone, I would not have done that well, so thank you Alain!!

The other reason to be excited:  at this time last year, I could barely run 1 mile - and I just ran 6!!  HA!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed this one, but I'm so down for Sage 'n' Sun this year.

    ReplyDelete