Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I've tried to tri

I've done two tris this summer.

meh.

 (race reports will show up in a few days. maybe.  the races were at the end of May/beginning of June. Procrastination is in full swing, so I wouldn't hold your breath.)

My heart's just not into it this year for some reason.  I've gone from being THISCLOSE to signing up for Ironman CdA 2011 and racing Half-Irons this summer, to reading chick lit books in my lounge chair in the sun with an umbrella shaded drink.  The best part?  I don't care.

Can we say 'burnt out'?

Ok, fine, it could have also been the two weeks I took off to go to Vegas and the ocean, but whatever.  I know guys who to Ironman, and am in awe of what the do (you guys are rock stars!!), but I have absolutely no desire to put in the amount of training time required to survive and make it to the finish line of IM.  I need balance.  I want to spend my Sunday afternoons curled up reading, gardening, cake decorating and hanging out with family.  Not with my butt in the saddle on an epic 100+ mile bike ride for 6 hours. 

So, in the name of balance, changes have been made (not only for my sanity, but for the sake of my husband's as well.  Although he did admit that me being gone for 6 hours at a time would give hime more time on the golf course.  Bite me.)  Triathlon has taken a back seat to life, and I'm very much enjoying it.  There is no stress about fitting training into daily life.  I'm definitely exercising, but it's waaaayyyy more relaxed.  I lift weights 3 times a week with a girlfriend who walked on to her college volleyball team, I hike with hubby and puppy, I do our local criterium race once a week, and I have coffee/bike/run dates with another girlfriend (would you get better already KB?!) without worrying about mileage and pace and ohmygoodnesswhatifthisisntenough. 

I thought about doing one of my favorite local tris at the end of August, and immediately had a feeling of dread.  Obviously not the right choice.  The challenge has been coming up with something to do that I'm excitied about, and I think I have found the answer:  a brand new local (FLAT) half-marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment