Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2009 Recap

So just out of curiousity I decided to get on Buckeye Outdoors and see what my 2009 swim/bike/run totals were. Let's break it down, shall we?

Swim: 50 workouts / 46882 yds / average pace of 2:04 per 100 yds
this summer I joined Master's swim at our community pool and eventhough I was cold and wet at 6AM, three times a week, I really enjoyed it and think it helped my swim endurance quite a bit.  At the beginning of the summer I struggled to swim for 15 minutes straight, and by the end of the season I could swim for the whole hour without stopping.

Bike: 25 (!) workouts / 395 miles / avg 15.8 mph
ok, before you freak out, there were also 21 bike trainer workouts.  Still not a great ratio I suppose.  As much as I enjoy Coach Troy yelling at me from the safety of his DVD, there is no substitute for riding outside.  There were also 2 weeks during the Tour d'France when my husband was out of the country where I parked my bike & trainer in front of the flatscreen & rode along with Lance. 

Admittedly, I made alot of excuses during bike workouts this year.....it's too hot, too dark, too cold, too windy, too hilly, too much traffic, too much of a pansy.  It all amounts to too much bad attitude.  I rode the easiest, flattest, most comfortable routes I could find, and guess what?  My biking didn't improve a whole lot because I didn't push myself.  Shocking revelation: hard work = improvement. Duh.

Run: 86 workouts / 276.9 miles / 9:38 per mile average
My season this year started with a 10K and finished with a Half Marathon - both distances that I never in million years thought I would run.  For a girl who has never liked to run, I discovered that it's not all that bad.  That being said, I also came up with alot of excuses to make run workouts easier, and as a result my running didn't improve much. 

Races:
Also this year I set PR's for both sprint and olympic distances at 1:27 and 3:33 respectively.  AND I did my first half marathon in 2:27!  The olympic distance was new this year and I really enjoyed it - I'm looking forward to a FLAT oly this summer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment